The Career mode has been introduced in 0.22, but it is still in development. See the Career mode page for more. Please see community-developed campaigns below if you want to be challenged with the current sandbox.
Until Career Mode will be developed, the KSP community offers the following logical campaign mission progression manifest to players looking to follow a near historical and future age list of mission goals and milestones that can be done in the current sandbox. These campaign ideas are listed here to help you plan your own space program. Feel free to add your own ideas to the list, or add additional missions to existing campaigns.
- From solid rocket launches, to commercial spaceflight, to nuclear exploration beyond the Kerbol system, this campaign is for you! A massive series which is designed to present a logical sequence of campaigns and missions that build up from the others, in which the player will be able to play KSP in all its glory at a pace matching historical spaceflight, modern missions, and future planned spaceflight. These campaigns are designed to be played one after the other up until the Kerbollo 13 campaign. After completing the Kerbollo 13 campaign, you are welcome to run neighboring campaigns simultaneously, and of course, adding your own missions and goals that fit the theme of the campaigns your are running.
- Spaceflight is expensive, and technology progressive. Challenge yourself to build the simplest and cheapest launch systems and spacecraft to accomplish the mission.
- SAS modules don't exist until the middle of the Kerbinai Program, so don't use them until then (yes hotshot, you will need to fly using your onboard command module SAS only). Advanced SAS modules don't exist until the Kerbollo Program during the Mun Race.
- If an advanced part exists, don't use it if an alternative exists and you can still accomplish your mission.
- You are welcome to end any flight except where Kerbals are involved (unless it was called a test flight prior to launch), at which point you will get to launch rescue missions later.
- Test your staging by launching test flights (run through everything prior to reaching orbit).
- Use action groups to manage more complex launch systems and spacecraft.
- Don't forget the parachute.
- Age of Rocketry - Solid fuel rockets and ballistic missiles
- Space Race - First satellite, first man in space, first manned orbit
- Age of Satellites - Orbital mechanics 101: ComSat, KerbSat, GeoSat, SpySat
- The Kerbinai Program - First spacewalk, rendezvous and docking
- Probes and Rovers - Mun impact probe, orbiter, and rover
- The Mun Race - First manned Mun orbit and return, first landing and return
- Kerbollo 13 - Minmus polar orbiter, and rescue missions
- Kerbol System Exploration - Probes to Minmus, Duna, and Eve, and a Grand Tour program to visit Dres, Jool, and Eeloo
- Kerbals in Space - Build Kylab and KIR, prepare them for deorbit when KSS is later built
- The Shuttle Program - Build the first reusable space ship to land on a runway
- GPS and communication sat Constellation - GPS network of 5-25 Satellites and comsats between Kerbin, Mun and Minmus
- Kerbal Space Station - Build the KSS to house 10 Kerbals
- Joolileo - Send a large probe to explore Jool and its moons, with a smaller probe for descent
- Space Telescopes - Kubble Space Telescope, Mun remote observatory, and L4 Planet Finder
- Budget Cuts - Rovers to Minmus, Eve, Dres, and Laythe
- Civilian Spaceflight - Build a KerbX Space Center on an island, design and fly a runway-launched suborbital spaceplane, and test a boat-launched rocket system
- Sample Return Missions - Land and return robotic landers from a local passing asteroid, Eve, Vall, and Eeloo
- Danger in the Neighborhood - Deflect a rogue asteroid that is threatening Kerbin
- Age of Expansion - Satellite relay network, Mun station, Mun base
- Duna or Bust - Duna satellites, first manned Duna landing
- The Spacers - Manned planetary explorations, Joolian station, Eeloo telescope
- The Daring Few - The first extrasolar ship to return home
- The Colony - Build space colonies of 100 Kerbals
- Where No Kerbal Has Gone Before - Build a space ark of 150 Kerbals leaving for the stars
- Challenges - The best of player challenges submitted on the KSP forums
Feel free to celebrate your accomplishment with player-developed ribbon awards when you reach certain milestones.