The features listed here are planned for future versions of Kerbal Space Program and may change during the course of development.
This list is not an official road-map for KSP. It is maintained by the community, and has no direct relation to what may or may not be included in the final product. Already implemented features can be found in the version history.
|Current version: 0.24.2|
This section lists all planned features for future releases. Entries highlighted in blue are planned for the next update (soon). Entries in yellow have been partially implemented. Entries in green are already in development but are not expected for the next update or are that huge that there are multiple updates incrementally adding that feature.
The next version will most likely be 0.25, but it is possible that an intermediate version might be released.
The entries on the list are not a commitment, and the developer team is not under any obligation to implement them all. These features may be pushed back or implemented on another way then suggested here.
- Repairing: Ability to repair certain things
- Enhanced IVAs: Moving and interacting inside of the craft
- Crew tasks: Have the crew take charge of controlling the craft (provided they can handle it)
- More prebuilt crafts, for tutorials or as examples
- Observatory: Discover new celestial bodies to visit
- Exploded view: A schematic visualization of the craft, allowing for greater control over the craft's functionality
- Mining parts: Used to gather resources on other bodies (on hiatus until a better method can be found)
- Stack extensions: Fairings and solid-booster fuel plugs
- Spacecraft stats: Total weight, loaded resources (per stage?)
- More parts for moon bases and space stations
- Spaceplane part overhaul: Integration of certain Spaceplane Plus mk2 parts as well as redesigned mk3 parts
- 3 additional gas planets (Jool being the only currently available, gas planet 2 and gas planet 3), moons and an asteroid belt
Physics & Dynamics
- Wind & turbulence conditions
- Damage effects
- New lighting system with better shadows
- Better aerodynamics
- Re-entry heat or damage 
- Fixed fuel flow and changing maximum thrust depending on surrounding atmospheric pressure (at the moment the fuel flow is changing and the maximum thrust available is fixed)
Scenery & Graphics
- New particle effects: Long duration smoke trails, stunning explosions and much more
- Clouds (weather?)
- Static particles (cloudlets)
- Procedurally generated craters (Mun in 0.21)
- Cities and other geographic points of reference
- Space center facilities can be destroyed by crash-landing onto them, and fixing them will cost money
- More and better sound effects
Game & Engine
- OSC data interface: Connectivity with external applications
- New GUI
- More markers on the navball (normal, anti-normal, radial-in and radial-out) and a pointer specifying the location of maneuver node(s)
- 64-bit support: Windows (0.24) and Linux are supported
- Squad is committed to add multiplayer to the finished game after the success of the user created mod KMP, or Kerbal MultiPlayer. Squad says “Multiplayer is something we had planned to do after it was all said and done, but it’s time for us to start looking at it now”. With 0.24 Squad specifically states that they working on the first steps to add multiplayer after career is finished.
- KMP is a multiplayer system that has been replaced with DMP (As of 0.23.5). The mod is no longer available to the public.
- A more complete SDK and documentation (you can help by adding to the wiki!)
- Expansion packs/DLCs (different from updates, will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea)
The following features won't be in the official game (although may be found in mods):
- Steam achievements
- Autopilot Systems
- Weapons or military features
- Alien civilizations
- Terraforming
- Realistically sized celestial bodies 
- Conversion to a different game engine.
- Mobile version.
| Mac Fixes
|Auto-resume interrupted downloads||In progress|
|Downloads through BitTorrent (long-term)||Planning|
|Load-balanced Repair Packages||Feasibility Analysis|
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The "Almost Forgot to Title This Post" Edition” on the forum released on January 28th
- “The 0.24 Update Goals Post!” by HarvesteR released on February 4th
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The “Work on ALL the Things” Edition” on the dev blog released on February 18th
- “A Closer Look at the New EVA Suit for Cinematics” on the dev blog
- Forum post by KasperVLD
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The Administrative Edition” on the dev blog released July 29th
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The “Development of 0.25 Has Started” Edition” on the dev blog released August 5th
- The 0.25 Plan
- Here's Something Hugo Made
- [UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2
- “KSP-TV: Squadcast, back and later than ever!” interview of HarvesteR by Maxmaps (19:40)
- Post in the forum by NovaSilisko
- "What not to suggest?"
- “Isp doesn't work right” in the forums (Answer by C7)
- Procedural Craters dev blog post by "HarvesteR"
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The "Sans-HarvesteR" Edition“
- Expansions blog post
- Q&A during 0.21 early access livestream with Yargnit and Ted