Campaign: Space Race
|← Age of Rocketry||Campaigns||Age of Satellites →|
The Age of Rocketry sparked the imaginations of Kerbals everywhere. What was once a dream was becoming reality. The race was on to put the first things into orbit. Robert Kerman and his intrepid Kerbicans aimed to launch the first Kerbal-made object into Kerbin orbit... that is, until the Kerbiets behind their Iron Kertain launched their Stayputnik into orbit. The Space Race had begun! Not to be outdone, the great Robert Kerman with his new Kerbal Space Program planned to get the first man into space... but they were outdone yet again by the Kerbiets. But in the end, the Kerbal Space Program would have the final word and launch the first Kerbal into a sustained orbit around Kerbin and bring him back safely. His legacy, the Kerbal Space Program, would come to dominate the Space Race from that point forward, but not without its share of semi-expendable half-volunteered core of Kerbonauts sacrificing their lives for the scientific good of all Kerbalkind as it began its race to the Mun.
This campaign is designed to present you with a mission manifest that will allow you to accomplish the final goal of reliably launching the Stayputnik satellite into orbit, dipping your fingers into space, and your first manned orbit and safe return.
Missions are based on the Sputnik 1, Vostok 1 and Project Mercury of the 50's and early 60's.
- Length: 1.5-2 hours
- Difficulty: 2/10 (Novice)
- Skills needed:
- Basic navball familiarity
- Reentry procedure
- Vehicle assembly (see Basic Rocket Design)
- Ability to complete Age of Rocketry
- For version: Every version (tested on 0.20.2 - 1.0.2)
- Historical Rockets, Probes, and Stations series - This series of mods has accurate reproductions of early Soviet spacecraft:
- Salyut Stations-Soyuz Ferries - Includes an accurate Vostok spacecraft
- Soviet Probes - Includes an array of accurate early Soviet probes, including Sputnik 1
- Soviet Rockets - Includes accurate reproductions of the R-7, Molniya, and Proton rockets over the years
- Frizzank Aeronautics and Space Administration (FASA) - This mod includes reproductions of many notable American spacecraft, including the Mercury spacecraft and Redstone and Atlas rockets. Hang on to this mod, because it also includes Explorer, Pioneer, Gemini, Apollo, Jupiter-C, Titan II, Saturn 1b, Saturn V (it is entirely possible to produce the unmade INT-20, INT-21, and INT-17 variants), and even the unproduced Saturn C-8.
Stayputnik, the First Satellite
- Launch a Two-Stage Liquid Fuel Rocket into Orbit with a Satellite or Stayputnik 1
- Satellite must contain: at least 4 Communotron 16 antennae, 2 liquid fuel stages, 1 Stayputnik probe body, 1 or 2 batteries (enough for at least 1 orbit)
- Reach Low Kerbin Orbit (70km - 200km)
- Decouple probe from launch stages, extend antennae
Kostok I, the First Kerbal in Space
- Spacecraft must contain: 1 Mk1 Command Pod, parachute system
- Yuri Kerman must return safely. This is assumed for all future missions unless otherwise specified - you don't want to scare off volunteers, especially this early in the space program.
- Land on land (that's how Vostok 1 landed in real life).
Project Moho: John Kerman, the First Kerbal to go 'round the World
- Complete 11 orbits.
- Land in water (Bonus points if it is near the Kerbal Space Center).
- Feel free to go through the rest of the Moho program. This includes one more Redstone flight, and four Atlas flights.
After the successful launch of John Kerman into a controlled orbit around Kerbin, the Kerbals overcame engineering challenges. They knew they could achieve their dreams of bringing their technology to space, beginning the Age of Satellites.