Mk-55 "Thud" Liquid Fuel Engine
|Mk-55 "Thud" Liquid Fuel Engine|
| Liquid fuel engine by |
|Radial size||Radial mounted|
|Max. Temp.||2000 K|
|Impact Tolerance||7 m/s|
|Liquid fuel engine|
|Maximum thrust||(1 atm)||108.20 kN|
|Isp||(1 atm)||275 s|
|Fuel consumption|| 8.02 /s
|Thrust vectoring||8 °|
|On the surface||✓ Yes|
|In the ocean||✓ Yes|
|On the launchpad||✓ Yes|
|In the atmosphere||✓ Yes|
|Sub orbital||✓ Yes|
|In an orbit||✓ Yes|
|On an escape||✓ Yes|
|Test by staging||✓ Yes|
|Manually testable||✓ Yes|
The Mk-55 is a liquid fuel engine with thrust vector control that allows efficient control of the rocket during descent and landing. The Mk-55 is fairly low-thrust. This is offset by its comparatively low weight, however. The engine has a TWR comparable to the LV-T45.
The low thrust and radial mounting makes a single Mk-55 unsuitable as a main engine on most lower stages, but it can be used to augment other engines. A common use of this engine is in lander designs, as it eliminates the need to have a vulnerable engine in an easily-damaged position. The Isp of this engine is adequate, being 275 s at 1 atm and 305 s in vacuum, not far behind the LV-T30 and LV-T45.
Like the LV-1R and the 24-77, this engine has the highest gimbal range at 8 degrees.
|“||After an intensive search for an engineer crazy enough to plan and build a revolutionary new engine type, researchers turned to renowned engineer Eumon Kerman, one of the top minds in the industry. He failed miserably at the job, and this is what we ended up with. Hey, at least it works well with other (Rockomax) large (Rockomax) engines when you want more control. Sorry, no combo deals.||”|
- Remodeled and retextured
- Description changed
- Cost reduced from 850 to 800, Isp increased from 290 vacuum / 320 atmosphere to 360 vacuum / 320 atmosphere, gimbal range increased from 3° to 5°.
- Description changed
- Mass reduced from from 1.5 to 0.9, gimbal range increased to 3°, Isp curve changed from 330 vacuum/280 atmosphere to 320 vacuum/290 atmosphere, heat production increased from 300 to 350.
- Renamed 'Mark 55 Radial mount engine' to 'Rockomax Mark 55 Radial Mount Liquid Engine'
- Thrust increased from 80 kN to 120 kN.
- Manufacturer changed from Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co. to Rockomax Conglomerate.
- Initial Release