The features listed here are planned for future versions of Kerbal Space Program and may change during the course of development.
This list is not an official roadmap for the game. It is maintained by the community, and has no direct relation to what may or may not be included in the final product. Already implemented features can be found in the version history.
|Current version: 1.7.3|
This section lists all planned features for future releases. Entries highlighted in Blue are planned for the next update (soon). Entries in Yellow have been partially implemented.
The next version will be 0.24.
The entries on the list are not a commitment, and the developer team is not under any obligation to implement them all. These features may be pushed back or implemented on another way then suggested here.
- Repairing: Ability to repair certain things
- Enhanced IVAs: Moving and interacting inside of the craft
- Crew tasks: Have the crew take charge of controlling the craft (provided they can handle it)
- More prebuilt crafts, for tutorials or as examples
- Reworked tutorials
- Squad is working with NASA on this
- Mission control room: Create flight plans and take on missions and challenges
- Observatory: Discover new celestial bodies to visit
- Exploded view: A schematic visualization of the craft, allowing for greater control over the craft's functionality
- Mining parts: Used to gather resources on other bodies (on hiatus until a better method can be found)
- Stack extensions: Fairings and solid-booster fuel plugs
- Spacecraft stats: Total weight, loaded resources (per stage?)
- It is unclear to what extends asteroids are added to the game itself. But Squad is working with NASA to develop a mission pack to capture and investigate an asteroid.
- 3 gas planets (Jool being the only currently available), moons and an asteroid belt 
Physics & Dynamics
- Wind & turbulence conditions
- Damage effects
- New lighting system with better shadows
- Better aerodynamics
- Re-entry heat or damage 
- Fixed fuel flow and changing maximum thrust depending on surrounding atmospheric pressure (at the moment the fuel flow is changing and the maximum thrust available is fixed)
Scenery & Graphics
- Clouds (weather?)
- Static particles (cloudlets)
- Long-duration smoke trails
- Procedurally generated craters (Mun in 0.21)
- Cities and other geographic points of reference
- Space center facilities can be destroyed by crash-landing onto them, and fixing them will cost money
- Monetary system. This is assumed to be in planning since mission productivity can now be quantified, thanks to Kerbal perma-death and science points, in addition to the fact that all parts have a specific cost value.
- More and better sound effects
Game & Engine
- OSC data interface: Connectivity with external applications
- New interface
- 64-bit support
- Squad is committed to add multiplayer to the finished game after the success of the user created mod KMP, or Kerbal MultiPlayer. Squad says "Multiplayer is something we had planned to do after it was all said and done, but it’s time for us to start looking at it now".
- KMP is a multiplayer system that is a WIP. Even though it is in it's experimental pre-alpha stage, the mod is available to the public. 
- 3D Mouse Support
- Squad is working with 3Dconnexion to introduce this feature to KSP.
- A more complete SDK and documentation (you can help by adding to the wiki!)
- Expansion packs/DLCs (different from updates, will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea)
- In the latest Devnote Tuesday, HarvesteR mentioned that he is "Working on the newly-announced-and-no-longer-a-secret NASA mission pack with C7". No payment is required.
The following features won't be in the official game (although may be found in mods):
- Steam achievements
- Autopilot Systems
- Weapons or military features
- Alien civilizations
- Terraforming
- Realistically sized celestial bodies 
- Conversion to a different game engine.
| Mac Fixes
|Auto-resume interrupted downloads||In progress|
|Downloads through BitTorrent (long-term)||Planning|
|Load-balanced Repair Packages||Feasibility Analysis|
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The “Road to 0.24 Starts Here” Edition“ on the blog released on January 21st
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The "Almost Forgot to Title This Post" Edition” on the forum released on January 28th
- “Devnote Tuesdays: The Back on Track Edition“ on the blog released on January 14th
- [UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2
- Post in the forum by NovaSilisko
- "What not to suggest?"
- “Isp doesn't work right” in the forums (Answer by C7)
- Procedural Craters dev blog post by "HarvesteR"
- C7's mention of 64-bit support
- Expansions blog post
- Q&A during 0.21 early access livestream with Yargnit and Ted