Reputation is a measure of The Center's fame and image, influenced by its success and failures, in contracts, in record breaking, and in its general operations. Reputation can be seen as a currency like funds and science, and is mainly spent on instating Strategies in the Administration Facility.
Passively, a high reputation does three things:
- it increases the difficulty of contracts with typically better rewards
- it will grant better rewards for all contracts across the board
- it gives Mission Control more contract slots.
As such, spending or saving reputation is a strategic decision, that has The Center choosing between specialization of rewards (by having an active Administration), or a more balanced set of rewards with more options (by having a stronger Mission Control)
The upper limit of reputation is 1000. The points actually obtained for a contract decrease exponentially as the level gets nearer to the limit so a player will never reach it.
The graphical gauge makes knowing the exact current amount of reputation difficult; the placement of the numbers is not very precise, and the numbers displayed are 1/10th the actual reputation amount. For example, the gauge's first green section contains a '25' mark, corresponding to 250 reputation.
It is possible to see the exact value and after recovering a vessel, in the Mission Summary dialog box. Reputation changes and the current value are displayed at the bottom of the the Crew tab. Reputation is also summarized in the file chooser in the Load Game window.
- Reputation is no longer awarded for safely recovering Kerbals.
- Initial release
- First Contract Playthrough by Miguel (Maxmaps) uploaded on the official Kerbal Space Program channel