inigmatus suggested on my talk page to place a link to the campaign page in the sections menu to the left. In my opinion it should rather be placed on the "Important links" page of the Main Page instead when it is finished. --Crush (talk) 03:56, 6 June 2013 (CDT)
Both perhaps? Also a link from Tutorials should at least be in order somehow. The idea is that Campaigns present goals, not necessarily tutorials, but could link back to Tutorials. Inigmatus (talk) 09:42, 6 June 2013 (CDT)
- Well, the problem is that this is pretty much all user-generated - As in, someone in the community made most of these missions up. They're not official. The issue is, until we actually have campaigns in the game, having this on the front page would be a bit overkill for what it is. I understand you're trying to give people goals, but so are the challenges presented on the forums. Therefore, I'm not going to add this to the front page, for now. -- N3X15 (C · T · E) 14:43, 18 June 2013 (CDT)
All campaigns with categories are also categorized under Category:Tutorials. I don't really think that is appropriate, because they are meant to be challenges, not tutorials, and because there already is a Category:Campaigns. --dgelessus (talk · contribs) 15:03, 2 July 2013 (CDT)
Campaign as a Teaching Tool
Having recently started KSP, I've found the campaign to be a fun and helpful introduction to the game, with a few exceptions. As noted by SirMallock, I think it could use some changes to the incremental difficulty. Since it is reported as "a logical sequence of campaigns and missions that build up from the others" I'd like to work on streamlining it a bit and attempting to clarify some items. This will, ideally, further reduce the learning curve and provide a solid and interactive, instructive, and intuitive way to learn KSP.
Being new and primarily utilizing this campaign to learn the game, I can mention some questions and difficulties I've had. I have since discovered answers to some of them but will likely need the assistance of more experienced players to address the more complex issues once I get there. Generally speaking, I end up with the feeling I haven't been given all the necessary information to complete the campaign. As a result, it's been somewhat difficult to identify which parts of each campaign are the "challenge" aspect (i.e., figuring out how to accomplish the task). Perhaps a more specific "list of necessary skills/abilities" section for each mission would be prudent, maybe along with links to relevant tutorials? I'll proceed to each respective campaign/mission page to discuss these in further detail, so anyone who is willing to assist, have a look. - (TacoCritic 06:58, 5 August 2014 (CDT))
- I agree that a "list of required skills", as well as some indication of what skill the mission is intended to teach would be a much needed improvement to the campaign pages. Also some linking in general is always a good idea. I have been playing for a little over a year and have done everything the campaigns ask to do, so feel free to ask me any questions. SGCam (talk) 08:04, 5 August 2014 (CDT)
- I always envisioned hyper linking the required skills to relevant YouTube videos. Feel free to link! Inigmatus (talk) 18:41, 16 March 2015 (CDT)
- I haven't tested them, but I think sandbox is required. They were written long before science or career mode were released and probably aren't compatible with them.
- For example the first campaign, Campaign: Age of Rocketry, already requires unmanned flight which is not possible in the first flight(s). — xZise [talk] 16:16, 31 August 2014 (CDT)
- The Community Campaigns were drafted with sandbox in mind. Inigmatus (talk) 18:43, 16 March 2015 (CDT)
Should this ones exist? Both of them are just 'Moar boosters' kind of campaigns, neither of them give anything new and both are a test of patience. Most players that read this and try to do it will just find more and more bugs related to building and docking in space, never mind the lag it will cause. Scaling down both of them or just pointing to more vague 'what next?' kind of things might be a better approach. Nando.sm (talk) 21:13, 27 October 2014 (CDT)
I agree. I think the last 2 campaigns are too large to be worth the challenge. I imagine they would require absurdly large crafts and more time than any typical KSP enthusiast would want to put in to this. I think similar tasks with more reasonable crafts would be fine. I believe the difficulty should be in the maneuver skills and planning rather than the time required to complete it. I would be more than happy to edit these if we have more support for this change. --Electrollama (talk) 02:24, 3 January 2015 (CST)
I put the extrasolar ship idea out there hoping it would make for a fun challenge. Assemble a ship in orbit, launch a daring crew, and fly it. Bear in mind though, when I drafted the initial titles of these 25 campaigns, that I only created titles, and not mission details except for the first 12. I understand the 100 Kerbal Colony campaign is a bit much, but this was before I really understood what constituted a challenge. Just get a ship outside of Kerbol SOI, do some science, and bring it back? I think it's doable though I've not done it yet. I am ok with someone removing and updating any of the campaigns - for that was the idea in sharing them here in the first place. Thoughts? Inigmatus (talk) 18:50, 16 March 2015 (CDT)
Updates to this page
I am curious what people think about updating this page. I might make a video series based on this list in the near future, so I'd like to work some things out. Here are my personal ideas and concerns:
- Should the "tested on version ..." information be for the most recent version or the first version it was completed on?
- Should "Exploring the System" be linked separately, since it's a separate list of campaigns?
- "Civilian Spaceflight" isn't supported enough by the game mechanics. For example, it's very difficult to make boats in the game, let alone make one for the sole purpose of launching a rocket. And launching all those missions to make a temporary space center on the island seems like more trouble than it's worth. I suggest removing this campaign or simplifying it to just making another place to park your planes.
- Several campaigns are unfinished or not started yet. I may add to them soon and would like people to help with ideas.
- The crafts for the final campaigns seem absurdly large. My largest station in KSP has 24 XL Solar Arrays, and 75 would be crazy. And 100 battery packs? It's overkill. I would love to make them more reasonable, but I don't feel comfortable just going in an changing everything.
- It would be nice to have real-life historical background for each one with relevant links. I wouldn't do this, but maybe someone would like to take this on?
- I personally don't really look at the campaigns so I don't really speak for the user but just wanted to say something: this is similar to the problem of allowing fictional work. Either one page has one author and there are several pages which won't be completed because the authors don't want to (for whatever reason I don't judge). Or anyone can freely edit someone else's article. And because the first option is not really viable I don't see any reason why shouldn't improve other the pages.
- About the “tested on version” thing: In theory it should be a list which lists all versions which work with the campaign. — xZise [talk] 14:06, 3 January 2015 (CST)