Useful Tool Mods
From Kerbal Space Program Wiki
Those mods adds realism to the simulation making the gameplay harder than before.
- Ferram Aerospace Research : adds a wide greater realism to the atmospheric fly. It is then really harder to make your ship fly correcly.
- RemoteTech (incompatible with 0.23.5) : Your probe won't react anymore when far from Kerbal.
- You'll have to create a complete network of communication satellites to guide them in deep space.
- Adds delay (because of light speed limitation) to the control of distant probes, making navigation really harder with distant planets.
- Forgives control of probes when behind planet (in the dark side of the mum for instance)
- Tac Life Support : manages cycle of life of kerbal people. Food, Water, Oxygen and Electricity is now need to maintains your astronauts alive during missing. A new difficult parameter to deal with.
- MechJeb : the autopilot also gives you precious information during the building mode.
- Kerbal Engineer Redux : Nice designed information panel attached to the vessel. Gives information about each stage of the ship during building (DeltaV of each stage, TWR, ISP). and compute it realtively to bodies and their atmospherics parameters. Nice and simple and accurate.
- MechJeb : A complete autopilot tools but also complete missing features of the main program.
- attitude pilots (Prograde, retrograde, node direction, vessel direction and so on).
- Fine tune and execute nodes.
- Auto lander, docker, and lifter. This is an optionnal point. Not available in the beginning of career mode and that's a very good point.
- a complete calculator in the edit mode : mass, deltaV and so on. This should be in the main programm too.
- gives various information for anything in the game (ships, orbit, target, planets.....)
- Kerbal Alarm Clock : Adds alarms to various situation, stopping time warp. Very useful to avoid missing anything important in the game. In particular when you begin to have a huge set of probes and ships around the system.
New Game Play
- ScanSat Terrain Mapping : Creates Maps of celestial bodies, detects anomalies (easter eggs), surface slopes and Biomes. The map created from your satellites can be analyzed and then provide science points depending on your map coverage. The detected biomes helps landing your craft in an interesting point.
- Kethane : One of the most incredible addons of KSP. Adds a brand new fueling system in the game. Kerthane can be detected and drilled from any planet. It allow then to create fuel bases in moons as starting points for long range exploration.
- KAS – Kerbal Attachment System : In complement of Kethane, KAS brings new a complete set of tools to build complex bases using yours kerbonauts during EVA. You can set up resource pipes between parts of your base, add elevators, cranes and much more.
Must have tools
- Toolbar : gathers some others addons' features in a single toolbar for easy control. Used by many addons.
- Crew Manifest : allows the transfer crew members between parts of the vessle without having to do an EVA transfer. Used to be a missing feature in current kerbal version, is now included in stock KSP.
- HyperEdit : place your ship anywhere in space without the use of fuel. Useful for testing situations and creating missions, but a real spoiler for the career mode.