Campaign: Duna or Bust
|← Sample Return Missions||Campaigns||Danger in the Neighborhood →|
With Kerbals now living on the Mun, KSC scientists now turned towards getting them to another planet. And what better planet to start with than Duna, a fascinating red object that Kerbals had longed to get to for decades (also it was the closet and least expensive to get to). The Kerbal Space Program started planning this incredible mission. Beginning with mapping and research satellites, they soon moved up to landers and a rover, and finally came a manned mission to land the first Kerbal on the surface of another planet.
- Length: 5-15 hours
- Difficulty: 8/10 (Expert)
- Skills Needed:
- Advanced navigation via maneuver node
- Advanced orbiting
- Basic docking
- Advanced landing (atmospheric bodies)
- Advanced rocket design
- Intermediate mission planning
- Intermediate understanding of interplanetary launch windows (phase angles)
- Intermediate rover design
- Ability to complete Mun Race
- Ability to complete Kerbol System Exploration
- Ability to complete Probes and Rovers
- For Version: Every Version (testing being done on 0.23)
Duna Global Surveyor
- Launch a small satellite that will map Duna's surface
- Satellite must have at least two solar panels
- Satellite must have a dish antenna
- Satellite must have at least three scientific instruments
- Satellite must have a circularized orbit of 100,000 m with at least a 45 degree angle
- Launch a small satellite which will image various sections of Duna, with the first Duna lander attached
- Satellite must have at least one Communotron 16 antenna
- Satellite and lander each have to have at least one solar panel
- Satellite must circularize at 100,000 m
- Satellite must separate from lander, then increase orbit to circularize at 300,000 m, with no more than a ten degree orbital inclination
- Lander must land near the equator without losing any parts except as intended
- Send a small satellite to orbit Duna's moon, Ike
- Satellite must contain at least three scientific instruments
- Satellite must orbit Duna at a circularized orbit of 600,000 m and complete three orbits
- Satellite must then enter Ike's sphere of influence and orbit at a circularized altitude of 300,000 m
- Satellite must decrease its orbit until it is circularized at 50,000 m, with an orbital inclination of at least 45 degrees
- Launch a large satellite with smaller lander
- Satellite must have at least four scientific instruments
- Lander must be powered by a PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator
- Satellite must have a circularized polar orbit of 100,000 m with no more than a 10 degree and 5,000 m difference
- Lander must successfully land at one of the two ice caps
Duna Sample Return Mission
- First returned samples from Duna's surface collected by a large lander
- Lander must have at least two solar panels
- Lander must land in one of the darker, low regions of Duna
- Lander must touch Duna's surface with a retractable appendage
- Lander must successfully return to Kerbin
- Small satellite with first Ike lander
- Satellite and lander must be powered by generators
- Satellite must release lander at an orbit of 50,000 above Ike
- After releasing the lander, the satellite must circularize at an orbit of 100,000 m with no more than a 15 degree orbital inclination
- Lander must land on the Duna facing side of Ike
- The first rover on Duna's surface
- Rover must be relatively small with a somewhat slow speed
- Rover must be powered by a generator
- Rover must have at least two scientific experiments
- Rover must have at least two retractable appendages
- Rover must land in or near Duna's equatorial region
- Rover must travel for at least seven minutes real time
- Rover must end up near something interesting
Design a large ship capable of carrying three Kerbals to Duna and returning them safely to Kerbin. Test it with a test unmanned Mun mission.
- [Optional] Refer to the Kerbollo Program for rehearsal mission ideas.
- Include a lander capable of undocking, carrying two Kerbals down to Duna, and returning them safely to the main ship
- Ship must each have: a generator, at least 2 solar panels, 2 scientific experiments
- Lander must have: a generator, at least 2 solar panels, 3 scientific experiments
- Lander may collect resources for fuel for the return from Duna's surface (mine and refine, edit the save file, or use the unlimited fuel cheat).
- Korion 1 must be unmanned.
- Attain a circularized orbit of 300 km with no more than a 10 degree orbital inclination
- Increase its orbit to circularize at 1,000 km.
- Reach a circularized orbit of 100 km above the Mun with at least a ten degree orbital inclination
- Undock the lander from the ship and land near the Mun's equator on the Kerbin facing side without losing any parts except as intended.
- Rendezvous and dock with Korion 1.
- Transfer back to Kerbin.
- Land undamaged near the KSC on Kerbin.
(Tip: The Korion ships really just need to be a larger version of the ones used for landing on the Mun and Minmus. It can be done in a single launch, but if you don't want to, it can also be assembled in orbit. With the modded approach, you can either use multiple Saturn V rockets to assemble the mission, or break out the Saturn C-8 and feel the raw power of the Nova. By this time, though, Kerbollo's limited to flying to the KSS and the Mun base. So Korion is your go-to craft for Duna missions.)
[Optional] Korion Mun Rehersal
Launch a manned mission to Mun with a small base as a dress rehearsal for the manned Duna mission.
- Follow the procedure you intend to use for the manned Duna mission.
- If anything goes wrong, your Kerbals can simply return home. On Duna, you'd have to wait for a Hohmann transfer window.
[Optional] Korion Base Assembly
Launch an unmanned craft to start a base on Duna ahead of the manned mission.
- Land a lander with a docking port (for the ascent), living quarters for 3, 2 hitchhiker cans or similar part for research and growing food, and a rover that seats 2+ Kerbals
- (Tip: Mods provide more realistic parts for surface bases)
[Optional] Korion 2
Unmanned launch to Duna and return for a manned dress rehersal.
- Korion 2 must reach a circularized equatorial orbit of 500,000 m above Kerbin
- Ship must increase its orbit and break free of Kerbin's SOI
- Ship must reach Duna's SOI
- Ship must reach a circularized orbit of 300,000 m with no more than a 45 degree orbital inclination
- Lander must undock and decrease its orbit to 150,000 m
- Lander must successfully dock with Korion 2
- Korion 2 must return to Kerbin and land undamaged near the KSC
- [Optional] If you sent a lander ahead of the manned mission, let the descent lander collect resources for fuel after the Kerbals leave. This way it can be used as an ascent stage for any future manned mission to that location.
First manned Duna landing
- Korion 3 must be manned by three Kerbals
- Ship must reach a circularized orbit of 300,000 m above Kerbin
- Ship must break free of Kerbin's SOI and orbit the Sun
- Ship must reach Duna's SOI
- Ship must reach a circular equatorial orbit of 100,000 m above Duna
- Lander must undock and reach Duna's surface intact
- Plant a flag, walk around, jump and down, do whatever you want as the first Kerbal to reach another planet!
- Lander must successfully dock with Korion 3
- Ship must return to Kerbin
- Ship must land undamaged near the KSC
It had finally been done: the first Kerbal had landed on the surface of another planet! Everyone on Kerbin celebrated this huge accomplishment, and after a couple of months it was forgotten about. Scientists at the Kerbal Space Center then began planning out missions to the other planetary bodies, so that they wouldn't feel left out. A new training program began to test Kerbal's abilities, choosing only the most extreme daredevils. Together these Kerbonauts formed a group that would travel to all of the planetary bodies and back, known only as The Spacers.