Kerbal Space Program
Kerbal Space Program (commonly KSP) is a multi-genre game in which the player directs a space program run by the Kerbals, a cartoonish race of little green humanoids. Their space program operates from the Kerbal Space Center (KSC) on the planet Kerbin, sending craft out into a scaled-down analogue of the real-life solar system (though with significant differences). KSP suggests various goals in the form of contracts, but the sandbox nature of the game allows players to set and attain their own goals in variously “Kerbal” ways (read: ridiculously impractical and/or catastrophe-prone).
Play centers on building and piloting craft. In the editor, parts can be combined in many ways, resulting in craft possessing various operational capabilities. Players then launch and pilot them across terrestrial surfaces, through atmospheres, and — most of all — in orbital transfers between the celestial bodies of what is unofficially called the Kerbol System.
There are different game modes. In most of them the player can perform Science! And in full Career mode, players make decisions about various administrative aspects of the Kerbal Space Program while juggling program resources such as funds and reputation, and unlocking parts.
Kerbal Space Program is a multi-genre game where the player creates his or her own space program.
In KSP, you must build a space-worthy craft, capable of flying its crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a large collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!
- The Vehicle Assembly Building and Space Plane Hangar allow players to build spacecraft using a large amount of parts and tools.
- Fly missions to other Planets and Moons.
- Assemble large structures and systems in space and on the ground.
- Flight physics which get your craft into space...or not.
- Large planets with detailed terrain.
- Full mod support.
- Realistic ship systems and management.
- Build ships with multiple stages, and jettison parts away as they burn out.
- Advanced staging and astronauts, train them, research and improve parts.
- Hire astronauts
- Career mode
KSP is still under development, so many things are not yet as they should be. We are working hard to be constantly improving the game however, and it will be regularly updated with bug fixes and new content, so make sure to check back for new versions. We are also always listening to feedback from the players, and we welcome ideas and suggestions.
Currently the game is being built as an open sandbox. There are no objectives yet. You're free to build anything you can think of, and fly it wherever you want, even into orbit.
The first versions are free to download and play, and will remain so forever. During development, the game is available for purchase at a discounted price, which we will gradually increase up to its final retail price as the game nears completion. So by ordering early, you get the game for a lot less, and you'll get all future updates for free.
There is a demo version of Kerbal Space Program available. It is based on version 0.18.3 of the game, but with some limitations:
- The Vehicle Assembly Building, the launch pad and the Tracking Station are the only usable buildings.
- Only a small selection of the Stock Parts is available.
- The only celestial bodies are Kerbol, Kerbin and the Mun.
- Addons cannot be used. And if you install them, in the VAB, you get an interface with no parts.
The demo can be downloaded from the Kerbal Space Program website.
Lead Game Developer:
Felipe Falanghe (a.k.a HarvesteR)
Programming & WebMaster:
Chad Jenkins (a.k.a. C7)
Jeff C. (a.k.a. NovaSilisko)
Juan Carlos Demeneghi
Special Thanks to:
The KSP Community
Riess, of Our Intrepid Crew
The Orbiter Community - Hail Probe!