Campaign: Age of Rocketry
|Campaigns||Space Race →|
Several thousand years ago, the Kerbese invented solid fuel rockets for their firework displays. Later, the Kermans invented the K2 rocket during the Second Global War (which was fought over a schoolyard disagreement that somehow escalated into a violent, destructive war) capable of launching a relatively unguided ballistic missile to Allied territory, causing mass destruction. Two decades prior, Robert Kerman invented the liquid fueled rocket. Help each group maintain their progress toward the goal of a liquid fueled two stage rocket capable of reaching 70 km, the beginning of space.
This campaign is designed to present you with a mission manifest that will allow you to accomplish the final goal of reliably launching an unmanned rocket on a controlled suborbital trajectory of your choosing. This is based on the V-2 Rocket and similar US rocket programs of the 30's and 40's.
- Length: 1-2 hours
- Difficulty: 1/10 (Beginner)
- Skills needed:
- For version: Every version (tested on 0.21.1 - 1.0.1)
Solid Fuel Rocketry
Test Solid Fuel for rocket applications.
- Unmanned (all rockets in this mission are unmanned).
- Rocket must contain: 1 small RT-10 Booster.
- Fire the first stage at launch, pointing vertically.
- Note the maximum height.
- Nobody is expecting you to recover this thing.
Launch a two-stage solid fuel rocket.
- Rocket must contain: a parachute, 2 solid fuel booster stages, and some electricity storage.
- [Optional] Calculate the thrust needed for a thrust-to-weight ratio of 2.0 for each stage. Limit the thrust to this value.
- Fire the first stage at launch.
- Decouple when the first stage is used up.
- Angle the craft ~45°.
- Fire the second stage. Note maximum height.
- When returning and at a safe altitude, deploy the parachute.
- Retrieve the craft.
- (Tip: To retrieve a craft, move the cursor to the center of the top of the screen. This can only be done after landing or splashing down.)
Liquid Fuel Rocketry
Launch a Liquid Fuel Rocket.
- Rocket must contain: a parachute, and 1 LVT-30 rocket stage.
- Land that thing in the ocean lest you worry the 'Kerbiets'.
Launch a two-stage LV-T30 Liquid Fuel rocket and maintain a 45 degrees eastwards direction after 10 km and reach space (70 km).
- Rocket must contain: a parachute, 1 LV-T30 engine, a stack decoupler, 1 LV-909 engine or smaller, and a heat shield if applicable.
- After passing the thick part of the atmosphere, angle slightly while firing rockets.
- Enjoy the music once you reach 70 km.
Those pesky Kermans...
Put your targeting skills to the test with a controlled missile launch.
- Missile must contain: 1 solid fuel booster stage, a liquid fuel rocket stage, some control winglets, and NO parachute.
- Choose a pre-selected island.
- Go above 70 km.
- Impact within visible range of the island.
- (Tip: The blue line indicating your trajectory does not account for atmospheric drag, so aim accordingly or use a mod.)
After your two-stage liquid fuel rocket is past 70 km, you're well on your way to becoming the next Robert Kerman and igniting the Space Race.
- Installing a mod that shows the landing site adjusting for air resistance and planet rotation, like Trajectories, will aid in the "K2 Rocket" step.