Campaign: Age of Rocketry
|Campaigns||Space Race →|
Several thousand years ago, the Kerbese invented solid fuel rockets for their firework displays. Later, the Kermanss invented the K2 rocket during the Second Global War (which was fought over a schoolyard disagreement that somehow escalated into a violent, destructive war) capable of launching a relatively unguided ballistic missile to Allied territory, causing mass destruction. Two decades prior, Robert Kerman invented the liquid fueled rocket. Help each group maintain their progress toward the goal of a liquid fueled two stage rocket capable of reaching 70,000m, the beginning of space.
This campaign is designed to present you with a mission manifest that will allow you to accomplish the final goal of reliably launching an unmanned rocket on a controlled suborbital trajectory of your choosing. This is based on the V-2 Rocket and similar US rocket programs of the 30's and 40's.
Length: 1-2 hours
Difficulty: 1/10 (Beginner)
- Vehicle assembly (see Basic Rocket Design)
- Basic navball familiarity
- Overall, basic familiarity with the game's controls
- Spectator sporting skills at the least, if using MechJeb
For version: Every version (tested on 0.21.276 - 1.0.1)
- Sounding Rockets - This mod has parts that can be used to fashion small rockets that could easily accomplish these early goals, including parts to make a rocket that greatly resembles the V2.
Solid Fuel Rocketry
Test Solid Fuel for rocket applications.
- Unmanned (all rockets in this mission are unmanned)
- Rocket must contain: 1 small RT-10 Booster
- Fire the first stage at launch, pointing vertically.
- Note the maximum height.
Launch a two-stage solid fuel rocket.
- Rocket must contain: parachute, 2 solid fuel booster stages, electricity storage
- [Optional] Calculate the thrust needed for a Thrust-to-weight ratio of 2.0 for each stage. Limit the thrust to this value.
- Fire the first stage at launch.
- Decouple when the first stage is used up.
- Angle the craft ~45°.
- Fire the second stage. Note maximum height.
- When returning and at a safe altitude, deploy the parachute.
- Retrieve the craft.
- (Tip: To retrieve a craft, move the cursor to the center of the top of the screen. This can only be done after landing or splashing down.)
Liquid Fuel Rocketry
Launch LVT-30 Liquid Fuel Rocket Eastwards
- Rocket must contain: parachute, 1 LVT-30 rocket stage
- Land that thing in the ocean lest you worry the 'Kerbiets'
Launch Two-Stage LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Rocket and Maintain 45 degrees Eastwards after 10km and Reach Space (70km).
- Rocket must contain: parachute, 1 LV-T30 engine, stack decoupler, 1 Terrier engine or smaller, heat shield if applicable
- Enjoy the music once you reach 70km.
Those pesky Kermans...
- Missile must contain: 1 solid fuel booster stage, liquid fuel rocket stage, control winglets, no parachute
- Choose a pre-selected island
- Go above 70km
- Impact within visible range of the island.
- (Tip: The blue line indicating your trajectory does not account for atmospheric drag, so aim accordingly or use a mod)
After your two-stage liquid fuel rocket is past 70km, you're well on your way to becoming the next Robert Kerman and igniting the Space Race.
- Installing a mod that shows the landing site adjusting for air resistance and planet rotation, like Trajectories, will aid in the "K2 Rocket" step.