The Breaking Ground expansion was announced on May 6, 2019 and released on May 30, 2019 together with version 1.7.1. The expansion focuses on the Kerbal scientific endeavors with new science parts, robotic parts, and surface features.
NOTE: Everyone who bought Kerbal Space Program before May 1st, 2013 will get the expansion for free.
- Deployed Science: Scientific experiments have always gone hand-in-hand with space exploration and are now becoming an even greater focus in KSP. Players will be able to utilize a storage container in their craft that can hold various pieces of science equipment. Upon reaching their destination, players will need to deploy the equipment, which includes a central station, booster antenna, solar panel, weather station, active seismometer, RTG, goo observation, and ion detector. These pieces of equipment must be left out for a period of time to fully collect all of the scientific data and relay it back to Kerbin. The active seismometer in particular asks players to deliberately crash things into a celestial body to gather seismic data!
- Surface Features: A major addition with Breaking Ground is found on the celestial bodies scattered throughout the solar system. Meteors, craters, rock outcroppings, cryovolcanoes and more now populate the landscape. While smaller surface features can be transported back to KSC by Kerbals themselves, larger ones provide a greater challenge and will require Kerbals to venture out in rovers or send unmanned rovers. By attaching the new robotic rover arm to their rovers, players can scan the larger surface features to collect important scientific data.
- → Main article: Surface_features
- Robotic Parts: Long-requested robotics parts will now be available for use in KSP! A hinge, piston, rotor, and rotational servo in various sizes will allow players to tackle new challenge as well as enhance the creativity of their crafts. To coincide with these new parts, the addition of a robotics controller system will let players coordinate the behavior of all the different parts on their craft.
- → Main article: Breaking_Ground_parts#Robotics
- A New Suit: Of course, the ever-important Kerbal fashion can never be forgotten. With Breaking Ground players will receive a new suit that is futuristic in aesthetic and tied to the science-focus of this expansion.
- → Main article: 1.7.1
- Implemented Cargo part category and Inventory processing.
- Kerbal Portraits now available on EVA.
- Devblog on May 6th, 2019