Difference between revisions of "FAQ"
(→Technical: + old KSP versions. + resume saved/load craft not working. * full sentence questions. + expanded "can't load file" a bit.)
(→What's the difference between S.A.S and Advanced S.A.S?: *reflect changes in 0.21;)
|Line 79:||Line 79:|
=== What's the difference between S.A.S and Advanced S.A.S? ===
=== What's the difference between S.A.S and Advanced S.A.S? ===
.. to the to the . one module per ship is , its performance depends on amount and positioning of the control .
=== How do I use RCS? ===
=== How do I use RCS? ===
Revision as of 16:57, 30 July 2013
These are a list of frequently-asked questions about KSP.
Please feel free to add to it or update it.
- 1 Basics
- 2 Wiki
- 3 Technical
- 3.1 What are the recommended system specifications?
- 3.2 The file I downloaded is broken!
- 3.3 I can't load my save file and/or spacecraft!
- 3.4 Nothing happens when I click on the "Resume Saved" button in the main menu!
- 3.5 Nothing happens when I click on the "Load" button in the VAB/SPH!
- 3.6 Can I get older KSP versions back?
- 4 Gameplay related
- 4.1 Is there a list of key bindings?
- 4.2 How do I get things into orbit/land on a planet?
- 4.3 Can I change the order of the stages?
- 4.4 Why do parts of my rocket fall when I launch it?
- 4.5 Can I toggle the S.A.S Module?
- 4.6 What's the difference between S.A.S and Advanced S.A.S?
- 4.7 How do I use RCS?
- 4.8 Can I take screenshots of the game?
- 4.9 How do I transfer fuel between tanks?
- 5 Development Related
- This section was originally on User:Senamic, but has been merged into this article for consistency.
Where can I find Kerbal Space Program?
What are the differences between the demo version and the full version?
The demo is a freeware release and as such is missing a lot of content that has been added since. The demo version gives you solid boosters, some liquid booster parts, some assorted parts including landing legs and winglets, Kerbin, Kerbol and the Mun. It lacks several features though, current notable ones are mod support, a working Spaceplane Hangar, multiple stock parts, a full solar system, docking, space stations and so much more. Use the demo version to get an idea of what the game is like, but don't forget that the full game has so much more for a good price too. Trust me. Its worth it!
What features are planned?
See the Planned Features list.
Why is my page edit being blocked?
In order to curb spam, the Kerbal Space Program wiki has a spam blacklisting system. If a page edit has any blacklisted terms, you will be unable to post that edit.
What are the recommended system specifications?
Please see the page System Specs.
The file I downloaded is broken!
If you get a problem like "Corrupted archive", this means something went wrong with your download. Try the following:
- Disable all download managers. These programs are notorious for messing up downloads.
- Clear your browser's cache or temporary files.
- Try another browser.
You can verify your downloads by comparing the checksums. Usually downloading again works if these options fail.
I can't load my save file and/or spacecraft!
- Updates can and will break saves and .craft files. If the file isn't made by you, make sure that you use the same version as the person who sent you the file! Otherwise try using the last version it worked on.
- Make sure that you have all addons installed that are needed for the save or craft. You can get them in the forums or on the official Kerbal SpacePort.
- Make sure your KSP installation hasn't be damaged by applying addons. Try reinstalling KSP if nothing else helps.
- TIP: Always backup (Copy and move to a new folder) your original KSP installation files, save files and ships to prevent loss!
This is usually caused by corrupted saves files. Open the KSP/saves folder and try moving all of the folders (except for scenarios and training) somewhere else. Then move them back one at a time and see if the button works again after each one. If it doesn't work, the last save folder you copied is corrupt. Your progress on that save is probably lost, however there are two things you can do:
- Replace the current state with that of a quicksave or autosave: Go into the folder for the corrupted save (KSP/saves/SAVENAME) and rename the persistent.sfs file to persistent2.sfs, so KSP will ignore it. Then rename quicksave.sfs to persistent.sfs. This will reset your current progress to that of the last quicksave or autosave. If the save file still won't load, your current missions can't be recovered, unless you know how to repair the files manually.
- Copy the crafts from the corrupted save to another one: Go to the Ships folders in the corrupted and an intact save's folders. Then copy the contents of the SPH and VAB folders from the corrupt save to the corresponding folders of the intact save. You should then be able to load the crafts in the intact save file.
Remember that multiple saves could be corrupt, so you might have to repeat the procedure!
This is also caused by corrupted files. You will have to follow a similar procedure as described above:
Go to the craft folder of the save on which the problem occured (KSP/saves/SAVENAME/Ships) and you will find two folders: VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building crafts) and SPH (Spaceplane Hangar crafts). Move all the .craft files from the folder in question somewhere else, then move them back one at a time, and see if the button works again. If it does not, the last file you copied is corrupt and you will have to delete it, unless you know how to fix it manually.
Remember that there could be multiple corrupted files, so you might have to repeat the procedure.
Can I get older KSP versions back?
Yes, the last stable version before the current one can still be downloaded on your profile page at the KSP store, where you will find it on the same page as the current version. Any versions before that one cannot be downloaded anymore though.
Is there a list of key bindings?
Yes. Please see Key Bindings.
How do I get things into orbit/land on a planet?
See our Tutorials for more info.
Can I change the order of the stages?
Yes, just drag the stage or the part where you want. As of 0.18, you can now do this in flight as well as in the VAB.
Why do parts of my rocket fall when I launch it?
Check the stats of the parts, you can't attach more then a specific weight on each part.
- TIP: Connect parts together with EAS-4 Strut Connector to help them from disconnecting
Can I toggle the S.A.S Module?
Yes, you have two options...
- Press 'T' to toggle/switch S.A.S. on or off
- Press 'F' for momentary correction/stabilization (activates only for as long as you hold the 'F' key down)
What's the difference between S.A.S and Advanced S.A.S?
With version 0.21 there is no difference between them anymore. The previous function of ASAS to hold the heading was moved to the SAS while the SAS instead became reaction wheels which provide torque. Like before with ASAS only one SAS module per ship is required, its performance depends on amount and positioning of the control systems like RCS.
How do I use RCS?
See RCS for the basics.
- TIP: On smaller orbital modules RCS can be used instead of liquid engines (don't forget to take enough RCS fuel!) Normally RCS is only used for orbital and landing procedures and to correct heading, not during take off or while in the Kerbin Atmosphere.
Can I take screenshots of the game?
Yes! With the function key F1 you'll take a screenshot of the current scene. The screenshots will be saved in a folder called "Screenshots" that is located in your root folder of KSP.
- TIP: Toggle the UI with F2 to take cinematic style pictures!
How do I transfer fuel between tanks?
Hold the modifier key and right click the two tanks. You can then click In or Out on either tank to specify the direction of fuel flow.
What happened to Experimental Releases?
In order to improve quality, Squad has created an internal team of community members hand-picked for their ability to post useful bug reports. Experimental releases are now only available to this team.
How can I join the Experimental team?
Community members are chosen by Squad, so one cannot join the team by asking. Having a knack for posting informative, clear bug reports with reproduction steps, logs, version of the game, etc. will definitely help your chances, though.
I think I've found a bug!
In a piece of software so early in development as KSP, it's very likely there will be bugs in the program. If you've found something that can potentially be a bug, you can report it to the dev team on the development forums. To make your report easier to identify as a bug, please follow the Guidelines to Bug Reporting, and please check to see if there aren't other posts about the same issue already.
When is the next version coming out?
There are no fixed release dates for new versions. There may be announcements for new versions on the dev blog though.
Is there multiplayer?
Not at this time, nor is it being considered until the game's development is complete. Main issues with implementing multiplayer deal with handling time warp for all players. It may be released as a DLC at some point, so please do not post suggestions for multiplayer in the development suggestions forum at this time. Current community-posted ideas and unsupported implementations can be found in the multiplayer article.