The Spaceplane Hangar (abbr. SPH) is a building of the Kerbal Space Center which allows players to construct air- and spacecraft or ground vehicles using bilateral symmetry as opposed to the Vehicle Assembly Building's (abbr. VAB) radial symmetry. Like the VAB, it is possible to store subassemblies for use on multiple vehicles. However, the SPH and VAB keep separate stores of vehicles and subassemblies.
When launched from the SPH, vehicles launch from the Runway nearby.
With the more realistic and detailed redesign in バージョン 0.21 the SPH gained an air traffic control tower. It doesn't serve any in-game function, but it visually complements the Runway and provides a challenging target for VTOL landings. In バージョン 0.22 it was made smaller and moved closer to the VAB.
SPH Game Interface
SPH mode: Along the top of the screen are some of the SPH controls. The left most controls are dependent on the current mode the SPH is in. The mode is controlled by the three blue icons just to the left of center along the top. These are: Parts the default mode, Action group and Crew.
Mode Controls: The left 25%-30% of the screen will be occupied by the various controls related to the mode. See the individual modes listed above.
Vehicle name: This is in the top center. Clicking on the name allows the user to edit the name before saving the current vehicle. It also opens a drop down box that lets the user write a description of the vehicle, along with any notes about changes, uses or features they might find noteworthy. Clicking anywhere else on the screen closes the note box, but does not save the vehicle to disc.
File controls: Located along the top right of the screen.
- New: Clears currently active vehicle from the SPH, and does not save any changes.
- Load: Opens a pop up window to load any previously saved vehicle assemblies. Note: Ver .21 and earlier can not load vehicles saved from the VAB.
- Save: Saves the currently active vehicle to disc. If not previously named, it is saved as Untitled Space Craft. Note: While the VAB uses the same name, the two craft do not overwrite each other.
- Launch: If not recently saved, creates Auto Saved Ship on disc, then switches from the SPH to the Runway.
- Exit: Does not save the current ship and exits the SPH back to the Space Center.
Staging: On the right edge of the screen is a dynamic and editable list of the current stages of the vehicle under construction. The game will attempt to build the stages as the user adds parts. However, the user may want to change the order that stages are activated, or edit what happens at each stage. A detailed description of the Stage controls is here.