|Eeloo as seen from orbit.|
|Dwarf planet of Kerbol|
|Semi-major axis||90 118 820 000 m [Note 1]|
|Apoapsis||113 549 713 200 m [Note 1]|
|Periapsis||66 687 926 800 m [Note 1]|
|Orbital inclination||6.15 °|
|Argument of periapsis||260 °|
|Longitude of the ascending node||50 °|
|Mean anomaly||3.14 rad (at 0s UT)|
|Sidereal orbital period||156 992 048 s|
|7 268 d 0 h 54 m 8.4 s|
|Synodic orbital period||9776696.3 s|
|Orbital Velocity||2 764 to 4 706 m/s|
|Equatorial radius||210 000 m|
|Equatorial Circumference||1 319 469 m|
|Surface area||5.5417694×1011 m2|
|Standard gravitational parameter||7.4410815×1010 m3/s2|
|Density||28 740.754 kg/m3|
|Surface gravity||1.69 m/s2 (0.172 g)|
|Escape velocity||841.83 m/s|
|Sidereal rotation period||19 460.000 s|
|5 h 24 m 20 s|
|Solar day||19 462.412 s|
|5 h 24 m 22.4 s|
|Sidereal rotational velocity||67.804 m/s|
|Synchronous orbit||683.69 km|
|Sphere of influence||1.1908294×108 m [Note 1]|
|Atmosphere present||× No|
Eeloo is a dwarf planet that was released in version 0.18.2 as a Christmas gift to the KSP community. It is the seventh and farthest planet from Kerbol most of the time, though its orbit intersects Jool's, passing in front of it for a minority of its revolution period.
Eeloo has just 3.5% more gravity than the Mun and is very similar in size. Like the Mun, it has no atmosphere. The physical characteristics of Eeloo are most likely an analogue of the ice moon Europa, and its orbit is similar to that of Pluto, though both bodies are known to have a tenuous atmosphere.
Eeloo's relatively large distance from Kerbol reduces solar power to approximately 4% at Eeloo periapsis and 1.4% at Eeloo apoapsis of the values seen at Kerbin. Bringing additional panels, or an alternate powersource (e.g.: RTGs) is recommended.
|“||There’s been a considerable amount of controversy around the status of Eeloo as being a proper planet or a just “lump of ice going around the Sun”. The debate is still ongoing, since most academic summits held to address the issue have devolved into, on good days, petty name calling, and on worse ones, all-out brawls.||”|
The surface of Eeloo is relatively smooth and covered in gray-white ice, with deep canyons exposing the brownish rock below. A few craters are visible, but not nearly as one might expect for a body without an atmosphere. Its highest points are near the equator and are almost 3.9 km high, while the lower areas can go lower than sea level.
Eeloo's surface lacks ground scatter, suggesting the ice on the surface is subject to erosion of some sort.
Eeloo has a total of 11 biomes.
Eeloo's distant, eccentric and inclined orbit, in addition to its low gravity, make encounters challenging. Its distance from Kerbin also tends to make missions very lengthy.
A synchronous orbit around Eeloo is possible, at an altitude of ~683.9 km.
There were plans for Eeloo to become the moon of a second gas planet and have an active surface, with cryovolcanic phenomena. It is unknown what Eeloo's parent planet was intended to look like, but according to former developer NovaSilisko Eeloo was to be the innermost moon of three other major moons.
- Eeloo actually had an atmosphere at first, but it has since been removed because the renderer for it doesn't work on bodies smaller than about Duna's size.
- Jool can sometimes be seen lingering in the sky from Eeloo. This is unique among the planets in the Kerbol system because of both body's orbits and the sheer size of Jool. However, the two planets are in a 3:2 orbital resonance, and coupled with differing inclination, the planets never collide. At most, Jool will appear to be only a few pixels wide when viewed from Eeloo.
- Eeloo's in-game description references the controversy regarding the planetary status of real life dwarf planet Pluto.
|5×||4 000 m|
|10×||4 000 m|
|50×||20 000 m|
|100×||30 000 m|
|1 000×||40 000 m|
|10 000×||70 000 m|
|100 000×||150 000 m|
A topographic height map of Eeloo as of version 0.18.2, made with the ISA MapSat plugin.
- http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35829-Eeloo-Discussion!?p=398040&viewfull=1#post398040 [Broken Link]
- Post in the forum by NovaSilisko
- http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/150d8j/ksp_new_planet_for_182_devs_christmas_gift_eeloo/c7icr7o?context=3 by NovaSilisko
- Added biomes
- Added biomes
- Initial release