FL-T400 Fuel Tank
The FL-T400 Fuel Tank provides fuel to liquid fuel engines, like the LV-T30, attached beneath it.
The FL-T400 Fuel Tank is the only Liquid Fuel tank in the demo, and the only way to power the LV-series Liquid Fuel Engines. It provides thrust for a short duration that may be extended by stacking multiple fuel tanks on top of each other. Since 0.13 it can be attached to radial decouplers and the sides of other fuel tanks. Since 0.15, fuel will flow between radially attached tanks without fuel lines.
With a fuel reserve of 400 units, one tank can power a single LV-T30 engine for up to 33.76 seconds at full thrust.
Unlike the RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster, the amount of thrust can be dictated by the user, with varying severity in and out of the atmosphere of Kerbin. One can use full thrust, with a higher chance of overheat during atmospheric burning, and optimal thrust during low earth orbit, and minimal thrust for course corrections during high earth orbit.
Used correctly, an inordinate amount of fuel tanks are not necessary for orbit, as you cannot generate enough thrust in atmosphere with the liquid engine to make up for their weight.
|“|| The FL series was received as a substantial upgrade over previous fuel containers used in the Space Program, generally due to it's ability to keep the fuel unexploded more often than not. Fuel tanks are useless if there isn't a Liquid Engine attached under it. They can also be stacked with other fuel tanks to increase the amount of fuel for the engine below.
— Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co.
- (Part rebalancing) Part renamed (FL-T500 to FL-T400), cost increased from 550 to 850, fuel capacity reduced from 500 to 400, full mass reduced from 2.5 to 2.25, empty mass reduced from 0.3 to 0.25
- (Undocumented) Part can now be right clicked on to show fuel units remaining and enable/disable fuel flow
- (Undocumented) Allowed radial stacking/connections
- (Bug fix) Fixed a bug that caused a massive performance drop when fuel tanks emptied (fuel tank switch lag bug)
- (Bug fix) Fixed a small but incredibly disruptive bug which prevented engines from being connected to fuel tanks
- Fuel tanks are now stackable to increase fuel amount (and weight)
- (Bug fix) VAB placement bug with tricouplers and fuel tanks (and decouplers)
- Initial release