BACC "Thumper" Solid Fuel Booster
|BACC "Thumper" Solid Fuel Booster|
| Solid rocket booster by |
|Radial size||Small, Radial mounted|
|Max. Temp.||2200 K|
|Impact Tolerance||7 m/s|
|Unlock cost||2 800|
|Part configuration|| solidBoosterBACC.cfg|
|Solid rocket booster|
|Maximum thrust||(1 atm)||250.00 kN|
|Isp||(1 atm)||175 s|
|Fuel consumption|| 19.42 /s
|Burn time||(1 atm)||35.2 s|
|On the surface||No|
|In the ocean||No|
|On the launchpad||Yes|
|In the atmosphere||Yes|
|In an orbit||Yes|
|On an escape||No|
|Test by staging||Yes|
The BACC "Thumper" Solid Fuel Booster is a large solid rocket booster used to provide a short burst of additional thrust to a rocket. It comes as a single unit. The engine and fuel tank are one single part which means that it isn't possible increase the burn time for it by adding more fuel tanks.
|“|| Filled with a new, even more volatile fuel, the BACC offers semi-reliable performance at a good price.
— Rockomax Conglomerate
Thumpers are one-shot rocket boosters often used to help get the massive bulk of a large multi-stage rocket off the ground. They burn at a constant thrust until they run out of fuel and then cease to work. It should be noted that more boosters doesn't reduce the need for liquid fuel, as one must also take into account thrust-to-weight ratios. Thrust can be regulated with tweakables.
The minimum thrust required for the Thumper to lift its own weight off Kerbin's surface is about 30%, or about 75 kN.
Its thrust-to-mass ratio is high enough to make it a popular choice on first stages. Early in the game, it is possible to make an effective first stage out of just the Thumper.
- In version 0.25, the BACC has an on-pad specific impulse (or Isp) of 230, slightly better than that of the RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster and comparable to the least efficient liquid fuel engines.
- Since version 1.10, the Thumper is the only 1.25m solid rocket booster without texture variants.
- New model and texture
- Thrust increased from 300 to 315. Dry mass reduced from 1.75 to 1.5.
- Thrust decreased from 550 to 300.
- Other small performance tweaks.
- Thrust increased from 400 to 550.
- Initial Release