RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine
|RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine|
| Liquid fuel engine by |
|Radial size||Medium, Large|
|Max. Temp.||2000 K|
|Impact Tolerance||7 m/s|
|Unlock cost||38 000|
|Part configuration|| liquidEngineMainsail_v2.cfg|
|Liquid fuel engine|
|Maximum thrust||(1 atm)||1 379.03 kN|
|(vacuum)||1 500.00 kN|
|Isp||(1 atm)||285 s|
|Fuel consumption|| 98.68 /s
|Thrust vectoring||2 °|
|On the surface||Yes|
|In the ocean||Yes|
|On the launchpad||Yes|
|In the atmosphere||Yes|
|In an orbit||Yes|
|On an escape||Yes|
|Test by staging||Yes|
|“|| A monster of an engine for heavy lifting purposes, the Mainsail's power rivals that of entire small nations.
— Rockomax Conglomerate
The Mainsail is usually used to provide thrust for larger rockets and lower stages. It is typically fueled by large diameter liquid fuel tanks like the Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank. It has a reasonably high atmospheric Isp of 285 s, but a low vacuum Isp of 310 s.
It is a common choice for lifting large stacks of liquid fuel tanks into orbit and beyond, or propelling large heavy lift vehicles. As of version 1.11.1, this is one of four size 2 engines in the base game. The thrust vectoring also gives it good pitch and yaw control, greatly easing first stage stability, though care must be taken to not allow S.A.S. to tear the ship apart. The thrust-to-weight ratio of this engine is excellent. The specific impulse is also fairly good, though it can still consume large amounts of fuel.
The high thrust of this engine combined with thrust vectoring can destroy poorly built rockets in the middle of ascents. Throttling down or limiting the gimbaling is often recommended.
- Prior to version 0.22 the Mainsail would tend to quickly explode from overheating when run on maximum throttle and placed under a Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank. Placing a small strut or fuel tank between the engine and the Jumbo-64 will mitigate this.
- Prior to version 0.23.5 it was the largest engine, as well as the one with the highest thrust. Those titles, however, are now held by the S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster. The equally-sized LFB KR-1x2 "Twin-Boar" Liquid Fuel Engine, introduced in the same version, is also more powerful.
- The 1.9 reskin made Mainsail resembles Vulcain, albeit overpowered. In the stock included Ariane 5, the Mainsail's thrust is lowered to 73.5%
- The reskin also gave the Mainsail a new cfg file; the old one can be found here.
- New texture and variants
- Renamed from RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Engine to RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine
- Cost increased (850 → 5650), specific impulse increased (280-330 → 320-360)
- heatProduction reduced from 500 to 400, as a work around to heat transfer bugs with the Jumbo-64
- Renamed from LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine to Rockomax "Mainsail" Liquid Engine, thrust increased (1200 → 1500), mass decreased (7 → 6), new description
- Initial release