RV-105 RCS Thruster Block
|RV-105 RCS Thruster Block|
| by |
STEADLER Engineering Corps
|Radial size||Radial mounted|
|Mass||(total)||0.04 t [N 1]|
|Drag||0.001 [N 1]|
|Max. Temp.||1500 K|
|Impact Tolerance||15 m/s|
|Research||Advanced Flight Control|
|Unlock cost||1 200|
|Part configuration|| rcsBlockRV-105.cfg|
|Maximum thrust||(1 atm)||0.42 kN|
|Isp||(1 atm)||100 s|
|Fuel consumption|| 0.11 /s
|Thrust vectors||4 (sideways)|
This RCS thruster can produce a force in any of the directions its nozzles are pointing. When used in it's default variation (with 4 ports), four of these blocks equally spaced around the center of mass of a vessel is typically enough to allow a small craft to rotate and translate in any direction, but larger ships often require more. It has "
PhysicsSignificance = 1", making it a physicsless part that adds its mass and drag to its parent part.
|“||The recent discovery of a third law of physics made it possible for STEADLER Corps engineers to produce these small monopropellant thrusters, to help with attitude control and linear motion. Even though many Kerbal physicists still dispute the validity of this new law, studies show that the thrusters seem to work as advertised.||”|
The third law of physics referenced in the quote is likely a reference to third law of motion, which says that every force generates an equal counter-force. That's exactly how monopropellant thrusters or rather any kind of reaction engines work: When expelling propellant with a specific force, an equal force pushes the spacecraft in the opposite direction.
- New variations, specifically versions with anywhere between 2 and 5 ports, with the version fitted with 5 ports useful for craft with only 2 way symmetry.
- New model and texture
- entryCost decreased from 3400 to 1200
- Cost decreased cost from 620 to 45
- Mass decreased from 0.05 to 0.04
- "PhysicsSignificance = 1" added. The part now has 0 mass and drag, despite the listed values. (As of 1.0.1 this flag works differently and these values are meaningful again.)
- Nominal performance increased, bug providing vastly superior linear performance removed.
- Retextured, given Isp values and actual mass.
- Initial Release