Mk1 Command Pod
|Mk1 Command Pod|
| Command pod by |
Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc
|Radial size||Tiny, Small|
|Max. Temp.||2200 K|
|Impact Tolerance||14 m/s|
|Part configuration|| mk1Pod.cfg|
|Pitch torque||5.0 kN·m|
|Yaw torque||5.0 kN·m|
|Roll torque||5.0 kN·m|
|Electricity required for torque||
|Electric capacity||50.0 ⚡|
|SAS level||× None|
|Inventory Slots||1 slots|
|Volume Limit||50 l|
Usually placed at the top of the rocket, the Mk1 Command Pod provides all functionality of a command module. It has half the torque power of most other manned command modules. This is often sufficient for smaller rockets, though larger ones will require additional control systems. It can also be used for shuttles and landers due to its small size.
The Mk1 Command Pod features a tiny radial size node on top, typically used for attaching a Mk16 Parachute, and a small radial size node on the bottom. The pod's crew hatch is outfitted with a small window through which an occupying Kerbal can look out during IVA. On the outside there are two rungs of ladders below the hatch.
The Mk1 Command Pod is also the first command module available in the career mode.
|“|| Originally built as a placeholder for a demonstration mock-up of a rocket, the Mk1 Command Pod was heralded as a far safer and more reliable option than its predecessors by rocket scientists throughout the world. It is now commonly seen in active service.
— Kerlinton Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc.
- The model for the Mk1 Command Pod was replaced in version 0.16. There is a memorial to the original located at the Kerbal Space Center, and another at the Island Airfield.
- Prior to version 1.5, the bottom side had a hump (which was also ablative), which did not bode well for many parts attached to the bottom. The TD-12 Decoupler worked particularly well hiding the hump. There was a good side: the hump looked nice when attaching "tiny" parts to the bottom, and it appeared similar to a heat shield.
The Mk1 Command Pod was inspired by the Mercury capsule.
As of version 1.5 this command pod has three textures that can be switched in the editor.
- New model and texture
- Added 3 variants
- New IVA
- IVA improved
- Added Monopropellant
- Added ElectricCharge
- Part rebalancing: Mass reduced from 1.0 to 0.8, and crew capacity reduced from 3 to 1.
- New part model.
- Exposed Kd, Ki and Kp parameters for tuning the SAS and CommandPod modules
- (Bug fix) Pod cannot be dropped if an Escape Tower (PunchOut addon) is attached
- Initial release